Sunday, December 9, 2007

kick in the pants

Okay, so I'm totally kicking myself in the pants. For those of you who don't know, I chose the title of this blog cause music is one of my serious passions in life. I love it. I love to listen to it, perform it, compose it, record it...you name it and I like doing it. For the past few years, certain aspects of my music have faded or been placed on a back burner, but I've recently begun writing/composing and recording again for several different reasons and I'm LOVING it. It's like part of me has come to life again. So here's where I'm kicking myself...I play the guitar and a tiny bit of piano, but I played the flute for years and years a long time ago and was actually very good, and I had this AMAZING flute. I mean we're talking kick-butt top of the line kinda thing. It was a Miyazawa (Mee-yah-zah-wah - not that you care), which is a hand made flute from Japan. They're gorgeous with BEAUTIFUL tone quality and they're about $2000+ a pop. My dad bought it for me in high school because at the time we thought I would possibly make the title "flute player" my profession for life...hmm...so maybe that was a ridiculous notion, but I sure did love playing. Then life moved on, the flute got stuck in the closet on a top shelf, and eventually as Michael and I were making wedding plans, we needed/wanted some cash, so what did I do? That's right. I SOLD my Miyazawa!! For about half of what it was worth. I can't even remember what we even used the money for.

Oh, Miyazawa...let me count the ways!

Fast-forward to now. Of COURSE I have this crazy itch to play my flute again now and to possibly add some background flute tracks to the recordings I'm working on. So I've been hopping on eBay every couple of days looking at all sorts of flutes (but mainly one just like I had before), knowing I can't REALLY buy one because Michael would permanently maim me. So instead I sigh and I do some numbers on paper and come to the conclusion that I can save up and buy a Miyazawa sometime in the future....like in about 5 years. Yikes.
So the lesson to be learned here is that we are stupid and impulsive when we are young and that we don't realize the important or valuable things until they're long gone (if this doesn't describe your pubescent years, it certainly describes mine). If there's another thing I've learned, it's that I (unfortunately) learn by making big, fat mistakes. Some mistakes hurt a LOT worse than others. But for now, I'll keep day-dreaming and pining away for my little Miyazawa. *sigh*

Up and coming blogs:
1. Bennett's birthday party and pictures
2. Ode to Mimi
3. Bennett's development updates
4. Posting my recorded songs for your listening pleasure (as soon as I can figure out HOW)
5. Let's clean house
6. Death of a Christmas Tradition

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Well, I am curious about your future postings and also can't wait to hear some of your music! So sorry about the flute thing. If I had the money I would go buy you one!!! Have a great week!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Kristen! If you and Daniel ever come into some big money, I'll remind you :)