Tuesday, November 24, 2009

GOOD THINGS

It's nice, after the space of about two months of feeling like I've been losing my mind, to have some really fantastic things happen. Over the span of the last two months, I've lost a ring Michael gave me to commemorate Bennett's birth, I've lost my keys, I've lost my wallet, I got a speeding ticket that truly was a bum-wrap, and Bennett has decided to go NUTS behavior-wise. I also changed my diet pretty drastically, and made the decision to quit facebook and to make my entire blog private and able to be viewed only by myself (which means, in effect, I'm writing this entry for myself :) ). Whoa, heavy couple of months if you ask me. But now I finally feel like a corner is being turned.

We had to replace my keys, and the ring is still gone *sniff*, but I just got a phone call today that my wallet was turned in, which was, of course, a HUGE relief, and my lifestyle changes are really starting to pay off. I feel MUCH healthier and am continuing to lose weight at a slow pace from my diet changes. Over time, I'm fighting the battle of being controlled by food, which is a wonderful feeling.

With Bennett, Michael and I have been implementing principles and strategies from Dr. Dobson's book "The Strong-Willed Child," and after a week and a half of being painfully, annoyingly consistent, it is TOTALLY working, and we are both PUMPED. Our whole family is happier and more positive. It's the best feeling. For anyone who has a strong-willed child, or just has a two/three-year-old going through the crazies, I HIGHLY recommend this book. It gives great insight to how the child's mind works, what they want, how to communicate with them, how to create and maintain your place of authority and respect in the home in a godly, loving but firm way, etc.

And finally, with the time I no longer waste with facebook, I've been working like crazy on the book I'm writing, and I am REALLY excited about it - no really - it's SO exciting. Because even if it never gets published or recognized, it's something me and God have been working on - it came out of my head and from the Holy Spirit, and that's pretty amazing. At this point I've written about a hundred pages, and the ENTIRE plot and all of the events are up in my head in order, with chapter titles and basic outlines of what will happen. It's merely a matter of pounding it out on the computer!! (not easy when you've got a 3 year old and an 8 month old, but I put in my time anywhere I can, and I LOVE working on it). Also, due to releasing my hold on facebook, I'm not struggling by half with feeding myself the desire to "keep up with the Jones's" or to be someone I'm not. I'm not struggling nearly so much with envy or wishful thinking, or discontent or judgmental thoughts toward others. Being so much more free of all of these attacks is the greatest. I wish I'd done it a long time ago.

Thank you, Lord, for your blessings when we persevere and keep on keeping on, even when we don't feel like it. Thank you for giving me some bright lights at the end of the tunnel I've been trudging in. Thank you for your perfect plans that are far better and greater than anything I could've planned for myself. Thank you for good things - I know that all good things come from you.

0 comments: