Tuesday, March 9, 2010

WON'T YOU PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME? (to the tune of the Beatles)

I am SO bummed. Today I decided to wash Bennett's nap mat, bag, blanket, and backpack (since it's been awhile - yikes), and ended up running into the laundry room when I heard a HORRIBLE racket coming from the washer. Turns out, it totally DESTROYED his backpack. This really stinks for two reasons: 1) It was fairly expensive and I planned on him using it all the way up until Kindergarten. 2) It was SO cute, and even had a little flag patch on it that Nanna gave him when he went through his obsession with flags.

I can take the flag patch off, I can order another backpack identical to this one, but since the instructions say to use a cloth and mild soap, I can't just return/exchange it. I have to actually buy a new one. I still can't figure out what went wrong. I've washed the thing before....oh, well. C'est la vie.

But now that I'm looking for a new backpack, I'm thinking about getting something different. I want it to be cute, I want to be junior-sized (not the teeny-tiny annoying ones you can't even fit a folder in, but one that's more toddler sized than your average pack), I don't want it to cost an arm and a leg, and I want it to last. Anybody have any suggestions on brand, website, etc.?

ALSO, Jasper REFUSES, absolutely will NOT drink from a sippy cup. He's down to three bottles a day, and is still getting plenty of fluids from that and his jar foods, but I'd really like to get the ball rolling on this. I've tried two different cups, one with a rubbery, firmer mouth piece, and another that's softer, like a bottle nipple. No can-do. Is there any way to speed this along that anyone else has found? Or do I just keep trying a few times throughout the day, trusting that eventually my child will decide to drink? I've heard the longer you wait, the more dependent they are on their bottle....so I'm wanting to move forward with this if that's the case. Again, any input or words of wisdom would be appreciated.


2 comments:

Vicky said...

I'm so sorry Bennett's backpack got eaten by the washer. I never have figured out how that kind of thing happens but it has happened to most of us.

About the sippy cup - I don't have any sure fire solutions but I have a few ideas. Every child is different so try different ideas that you hear about and one of these days, one of them will work.

1. You can dip the mouthpiece in milk and offer it often just for the flavor.

2. He is too young for honey but you can put jelly or some other thing he really likes on the cup. After he "sucks" the flavor many times, he might be more willing to accept the cup with milk.

Hopefully you will get more ideas from other mothers of young children.

One of my kids took to the cup right away and the other one made it a huge battle.

Good luck with this and I am really looking forward to your visit.

Homeslice said...

Hi there, check out my site at http://www.napmatsandmore.com. I'm a working mom and will gladly give you 10% off after your washing disaster. It's happened to me before :) we have toddler size packs as well.