Wednesday, March 3, 2010

SARCASM

The main idea behind this post comes from the same marriage seminar I mentioned before. Along with talking about how nuclear words are, the speaker specifically explored the ins and outs of sarcasm. What struck me hardest was the simplest point he made about it: the definition itself.

*Sarcasm -- the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

YIKES. I've also heard through various sources (although I'm ignorant as to the origin) that "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." That quote could be from some low-budget movie, for all I know, but the idea itself makes sense to me. Sarcasm is a pretty easy thing to engage in and become a master of, and I've become a queen of it myself.

The problem I've noticed with sarcasm is, even when you're just using it to be funny in a group and it's not aimed at anyone else, when you get in the habit of using it, it becomes kind of addictive, and an easy tool to turn to in conversation; it has a way of leaking over into other aspects of your life (ahem, like when you and your husband are fighting and you lay it on really thick, and the definition above shamefully applies).

Soooo...all this being said, I'm working to remove sarcasm from my speech. I'll stretch my brain while trying to be funny and entertain without resorting to the easiest route, and I'll save myself and others some heartache and bleeding ears by curbing my tongue when I'm in a particularly nasty mood (who, me?). It doesn't serve any good purpose, and in me, it promotes something ugly that I don't want coming out from the overflow of my heart.


1 comments:

Vicky said...

Your post took me by surprise because I have never thought of you as sarcastic!

Your post got me to thinking - not about you - but about the word sarcastic.

I decided to check out antonyms and this is some of what I found:

civility, courtesy, diplomatic, kindness, politeness, sweetness

Pretty convincing to me!