Saturday, June 2, 2012

OCEAN PRESCHOOL UNIT

This school year with Bennett and Jasper was a lot of fun.  I feel like both of the boys learned a lot, and although I can't say I was as consistent as I had hoped I would be, for a preschool year, it wasn't too shabby.

We did a bible story a week, and a memory verse each month.  With the bible story, we did an accompanying craft most weeks, and we did three major themed units this year (dinosaurs, the ocean, and insects).  I used some great books to teach basic phonics skills, to master writing and sounding out letters, to write and count numbers, and to practice fine motor skills such as cutting.

With Jasper we worked on basic knowledge retention with numbers, letters, letter sounds, shapes, colors, animal sounds, counting, one-to-one correspondence, etc.  He did great with everything but colors.  As I said in a previous post, I'm really thinking he might be color blind like his daddy.  Time will tell!

Next year, Bennett is off to Kindergarten with his daddy, and Jasper will go to a little two-day a week preschool program.  I am REALLY excited about these changes for both of our boys.  I think it will be really good for them, as well as for our family as a whole.

Here are some pictures of our big ocean themed unit: (this was Bennett's favorite, by far)

Trip to the Children's Aquarium
Touching slimy things :)
Seahorses!
Sharks!
Me and my pals
Jellyfish!
Jasper practicing letters
Making a foam shark

Some of the ingredients for our jello aquariums.
Jello aquariums for our after school snack :)

We read lots and LOTS of informational books about oceans, which Bennett ate up like crazy, and we also made different glittery fish using different colors and worked on making patterns with them lined in rows.  Those pictures have disappeared from my camera somehow :).

0 comments: