Wednesday, September 1, 2010

DUDE

No rhyme or reason to the title, kind of like this post. Things I'll be covering: 10 year high school reunion (if I could figure out how to spell the slightly sarcastic, muffled sound that comes from my throat every time I think about it, I would...), my birthday, Ladies Bible Class, and Bennett's first day of school. So here we go!


10 YEAR REUNION --
The highlights:
1) Sat with some fun people that I haven't seen in a long time and haven't talked to in even longer.
2) Got to observe and laugh at the fact that not much has changed in ten years (make of that statement what you will).
3) Thought it was funny that almost everyone is doing about the same thing as everybody else :)
4) Had one guy (who I've never spoken a word to directly, not even in high school) tell me how awesome I looked and how I'd really taken good care of myself and blah blah blah. He slurred, he rambled...he was clearly drunk. Nice.
5) Watched other people get drunk and think they were really awesome and grown up. Sad.
6) Ate the best tamale I've ever had on the rooftop of the Reata in Ft.Worth. I really liked it, which is saying something since I don't usually like the things at all, and the atmosphere of the place was cool.
7) Felt very thankful for my husband and our family, and for the way I was raised by my parents, who made me very confident in my beliefs and in who I am.
8) Michael was asked to get down off a ledge he was sitting on (apparently the manager was afraid he'd fall or jump, especially since he didn't know whether or not Michael was one of the "special" ones who drank too much) - HA!
9) Got my ears blown out by the DJ whose goal it was clearly to scramble our brains to the point of no longer being able to construct a simple sentence with old friends.
10) Ate some good cake.

MY BIRTHDAY --
So I'm 28 now, getting closer and closer to "rounding the bend," but I realized something on my birthday this year (which was very restful and relaxing, by the way - just what I needed!). The truth is, I'm glad to be where I'm at in life. I'm thankful for the lessons I've learned that have taken 28 years to get me where I am today. I thought I would feel old, but I don't. I have almost as much energy and stamina as I did when I was younger, but everything is done with more of the Lord's wisdom, with a firm knowledge of who I am and what I stand for and what my purpose is, with a deeper relationship with God, and with lovely, amazing, loyal friendships that I've been blessed with just over the past 3-5 years. Can't complain about any of that now, can I? So here's to 28 years, and a big fat THANKS to all the crazies who wished me Happy Birthday on facebook, because that just made me smile.

LADIES BIBLE CLASS --
I'm excited about the study itself (on Tuesday mornings), I'm excited about the ladies in my group, I'm excited about the free child care once a week when I get a break from both of my kiddos, I'm excited about seeing faces I don't usually get to see every week, and I'm excited about having plenty of time to commit to it. That said, I won the "Mother of the Year" award on Tuesday (our first time to meet). Jasper had been fussy that morning, and I noticed he was a little snotty, but I was scrambling around getting all three of our bags packed and Bennett ready for his first day of school, and getting breakfast down their hatches. He felt cool, so I chalked it up to allergies and him being annoyed that he couldn't breathe, and off we went. The nursery pager went off about an hour into the study, and the ladies there (who are luckily friends of mine) informed me that he had a fever of 101.4. Awesome. That's awesome. I can't stand being the mom that brings their sick kid and makes the other kids sick, but there we were. Yuck. On the bright side, things should go a lot more smoothly next week.

BENNETT'S FIRST DAY --
He LOVES his new school, and my heart is filled with thankfulness about it. Last year Bennett had some struggles discipline-wise, and it was so frustrating for both of us because I couldn't understand why. He is such a loving, charming, energetic, compassionate thing (if I do say so myself), but the stigma hanging over his head became extremely negative last year. Because of a few things he's said about this new school, and the schedule there (he doesn't have to take a nap while there, he waits until he gets home), I really think a HUGE part of the issues we had were his frustration and anger over being forced to lay on a nap mat for an hour in the dark every day. I know he was little, and that little kids need their naps, but this son of mine never went for doing it under those circumstances. He was THRILLED that he just got to play and learn the whole time at his new school, and he loves his new teachers and friends. He gave me a total run-down of the day as soon as I picked him up :) I'm happy that he's so happy. I'll post a first day picture at the end of this post once I get it uploaded.

And that's a wrap on the randomness.

2 comments:

Betsy@Living in the Moment said...

Loved this post. I revel in randomness. Had to laugh at the renuion section. I'm guessing you did not go to a christian private school!??!:) I never took a drink until I was 26 and I always used to laugh smugly at the kids in high school that thought they were so cool getting drunk. I never saw the appeal. Didn't know you were on the other side of 30. Happy belated birthday! Being past 30 several years I can tell you the best is yet to come friend!:) And the nap? Kate never took one there either too early for her. But I think she had a buddy that she could hang out with that was a fellow no nap compadre! See you soon!

Jennifer said...

HAHAHA! Yes, I DID go to a private Christian school! That's what was so ridiculous about it!