Sunday, April 20, 2008

Friday Favorites on Sunday

Yes, I'm late. So sorry, friends. Here they are, at Kristen's request, some music favorites. Don't be surprised if they are quite ordinary. I believe music is orchestrated in our very spirits from the time we are conceived. It's a part of who we are. I believe music is very personal and precious to God and that He has instilled that love in all of us to some degree. That's why (in my opinion) truly beautiful songs are beautiful and touching to just about everyone. This is why the music soundtracks behind the movie are what truly make us cry. It's not the drama of the scene as much as it is the combination of the events with inspiring music. There is a part of the soul that is touched deeply with music like nothing else. Or at least, that's what I think :) Obviously, by my blog title and what I'm saying here, music is a great love and passion of mine, and I am so very thankful that I'm able to use it as an instrument to glorify our heavenly Father. It is a blessing and an outlet and a gift to give. So without further adeu...

1. ARTISTS/GROUPS -- across the times and genres and in no particular order, here are some of my very favorite artists whose songs blow me away, inspire me, make me cry, make me think, make me smile, or are just absolutely brilliant:
James Taylor, Billy Joel, Aretha Franklin, Celine Dion, Sheryl Crow, Chris Tomlin, Natalie Grant, Third Day, Sonicflood, Norah Jones, Kelley Clarkson, Mark Schultz, Casting Crowns, MercyMe, Nat King Cole, Jewel, Alicia Keys, Queen, The Beatles, U2, James Blunt

2. FAVORITE SONGS -- this list could be a mile long, so for now I'll keep it to songs that mean a lot to me right now in my life, are gorgeous, or are just kick-butt great:
*Amazing Grace by Chris Tomlin
*Everlasting God by Chris Tomlin
*Praise You in this Storm by Casting Crowns
*Held by Natalie Grant
*Never Alone by BarlowGirl
*Anyway by Martina McBride
*God Will Lift up Your Head by Jars of Clay
*Your Grace is Enough (artist??)
*Fallin' by Alicia Keys
*You're Beautiful by James Blunt
*Kiss This by Aaron Tippin
*The Devil Went Down to Georgia by Charlie Daniels Band
*I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor
*Always Gotta Steal my Kisses from You (artist??)
*Burn for You by Toby Mac

So there you are, friends. Most of these songs were taken from my scrolling through my iPod. I don't download all of my music on it - only my favorites. I know this list of artists and songs is TOTALLY random. I just listed them as they came to me. The upbeat ones are typically what I listen to when I work out. i-Tunes is a blessed creation because you can download one or two of your favorite songs from one artist and put them straight on your iPod or burn them to a CD or whatever. If any of these songs look good or interesting to you, you can check them out and listen to a sample of the song on i-Tunes before you buy it.


Music is emotion mixed with mathematics, which is a pretty heady combo. I'd love to hear what all of your favorite artists/songs/genres are.

Next up: Pictures of my little buddy. We've had an adventurous week...stay tuned.

Peace out.

4 comments:

angela said...

Most all of these are my favorite too. :) I agree, good music is good music. I also like Hillsong and David Crowder Band. One of my favorite artist, whom I have just started listening to, is Brooke Fraser. She sings "Lead me to the Cross" for Hillsong. She also does her own stuff as well. Great for mellow, chill-out moments.

Jennifer said...

I LOVE that song!! Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

Haley said...

Steal my kisses is by Ben Harper, a texas boy form Austin, hels funny though he sings about love and peace, and God, and...pot?! Seriously though he's great!

Kristen said...

We have similar tastes! Thanks for posting! :)