Monday, December 6, 2010

FOUR YEARS


We've had four years with my crazy, lovable, fun-spirited, talk-a-mile-a-minute Bennett James, and I feel so blessed to be his mommy.

We started the day with cinnamon rolls for breakfast and then hit his favorite jump house. Tonight when Daddy gets home, we'll eat Sonic for dinner (birthday boy's choice), have blue sprinkle cookies, and open presents. This weekend we'll have his friend party and the M&Ms sports cake he's requested (that boy knows exactly what he likes!).

My Benito is becoming such a big boy. I've felt like crying several times today just watching him and wondering where on earth the past four years have gone.

He loves his family and his buddies dearly and talks about who he wants to see and play with all the time. His favorite color has always been blue and it still is by a long shot. He's still average height and weight, but I think he has the build and stockiness of a football player. His throwing arm and coordination still amaze our family, as do his thought patterns and conversation skills. Bennett inherited the unbelievable energy level of his daddy, and he uses it now to make up all kinds of pretend games. His imagination has really taken off in the last few months. He's still an amazing sleeper, getting around 11 hours at night and taking a 2 hour nap during the day (I know, I'm one lucky lady!). His favorite places continue to be Mimi's house, the jump place, the playscape and the water park (which he continues to talk about through the winter time). Bennett doesn't really have any favorite toys. He moves from one to another so quickly and is rarely still. He loves to be on the go and to have a purpose and schedule to his day. It drives both of us crazy to stay home all day long :) His very best friends are Deacon and Anna from school, and Cason and Sage from play dates and mommy's friends. "Snow globes" (the huge blow up things people put in their yards for Christmas) are his latest obsession, and we go on walks or drives to see them several times every day. His favorite foods these days are chicken nuggets, mini corn dogs and waffles (chalk full of nutrients, I know), but he still eats everything else I put in front of him with little complaining. He can trace his name and we're working on writing it independently. He knows all of his letters and sounds and can draw a face and a stick person (although he really doesn't like coloring/drawing and is rarely still long enough to do it). His favorite holidays are Halloween and Christmas, hands down. Bennett loves his brother fiercely and often translates, telling me what Jasper wants when I have no idea (this warms my heart because I used to do the same for my brother).

Several things that I've realized about my buddy in the past year is that a) he is a problem solver, and will work, argue, debate, and logic his way through all kinds of "dilemmas." b) he craves and needs attention more than just about any other kid I know, which can sometimes make life hard for both of us, but is in his nature and a part of who he is, and I love him for it. c) he truly is a strong-willed child, and we love him and discipline him as such d) he has the energy and ability and smarts to do just about whatever he decides to do in life, which is a great blessing. e) he has a gift for learning, remembering and retaining information, which makes teaching him new things super easy. f) he has a strong sense of right and wrong, which I also believe will serve him well.

Bennett loves to learn new things, loves to collect information, loves to read, loves to make messes :), loves to swim, loves to do things independently, loves to wrestle and hide with Daddy, loves to play outside, loves to show us how fast he is when he runs, loves to play with friends, loves to drink Mommy's DDPs, loves tater tots from Sonic, loves to watch Disney movies, loves to give his offering in the plate at church, loves the praise and worship time for kids at our church, loves to help cook, and loves birthdays and birthday parties in general (which makes today a FANTASTIC day for him! :) ).

I adore this boy, and I adore being his mama. Thank you, Lord for sending our family this first born baby boy. His name means "Little Blessing," and I pray that as he grows, You will bless Him in even bigger and mightier ways, that He might bless and glorify Your Holy Name.

Happy Birthday, Bennett, our special boy! We love you so much!

Cinnamon rolls in the morning.

Sonic with Mimi that night (Poppy was out of town).

Putting the candles in his blue sprinkle cookie.

Opening presents.


Jasper enjoying the spoils of the day.

Toy Story!!!

Bennett got these "snow globes" for his birthday from Uncle Joe Joe, and he decided he needed to share them with all our neighbors, so he set them out on the front porch for all to enjoy. You wouldn't believe how loud the music on the little snow globe plays. I thought putting it outside was a FANTASTIC idea. :)

I took some pictures of our time at the jump house too, but I'm having a hard time downloading them from my phone. If I figure it out, I'll post those above later.

0 comments: