Monday, December 6, 2010

TA-DA!!


I FINALLY FINISHED my BFHP (Big Fat Hairy Project)!!

The table and chairs, Before and After...

BEFORE:



And after sanding, wood filling, sanding again, priming, painting, painting again, and poly-coating ALL six chairs, the table, the table legs and the three leaves, and re-covering the seat cushions and scotch guarding them (makes my eye start twitching just thinking about it...it really did twitch for four days straight in the midst of this project), it's DONE!!

AFTER:

Six painted chairs waiting for newly covered cushions.


The first completed chair. Whew!


The finished product!!!
(sixth chair is off to the side, and the table is shown minus the three leaves)

I ended up spending $170 total, but after selling our old table and chairs on craigslist for $100, the grand total OOP comes to $70!!! FABULOUS!! However, I must say that there really was quite a massive amount of blood, sweat and tears involved in this project. This BFHP was certainly not for the faint of heart, and probably wasn't the wisest choice for my first really big thing to tackle. By the end I was SOOOO ready to be finished and SOOOO sick of painting. But we have a beautiful new dining set to show for it, which turned out beautifully, if I do say so myself!

Here's a break down of supplies:
Got the upholstery fabric for the chairs from Joanne's, on sale for 50% off. (around $30)
Got scotch guard for the chairs from Wal-mart (around $10)
Wood filler, sand paper, primer, paint, poly and painting supplies from Lowe's (around $30)

Would I recommend doing this yourself? If you have three weeks, an incredibly patient, helpful, supportive husband, and a STRONG desire for a new table and chairs, absolutely, go for it. If not, no way, Jose. But really? $70? Who can argue with that?! And thus ends the saga of my first Big Fat Hairy Project.

2 comments:

Vicky said...

It looks fantastic!

I am quite impressed!!

Riss said...

You are amazing!! Your new table and chairs turned out beautifully!