Thursday, August 18, 2011

THE ADVENTURES OF B AND J

This summer we...

**learned how to swim
(need to get a picture of it!!)

Bennett took swimming lessons from Poppy (my dad) all summer, and he's doing AWESOME! He can swim the ENTIRE length of the pool (from the deep end to the shallow end) with his head underwater, coming up for air when he needs it. He can jump off the side in the deep end and swim to the other side, and then pull himself out. He can float on his back. He can dive underwater and pick up cars from the bottom (at the shallow end). THANKS, Poppy!! You're the best swim teacher EVER!

**began wearing our hand-sewn spiderman-ish glove to prevent finger sucking (more on that in a future post, put it was created by Nanna. She's a genius, I tell you!)

**went to the water park twice a week
This was our last week and me and my mom bit the bullet and got the boys their Dippin' Dots ice cream (which we think is disgusting and ridiculously priced, but the boys love and have looked forward to all summer).

**learned to play (and made up) a LOT of new games
In this game, they're playing "Baby" and they go to sleep (usually in Jasper's crib), and then wake up crying. I tickle them and pounce on them until they go back to sleep - not that it makes any sense, but they love it. Other favorites of the summer were Alligator Snap and Leap Frog, both played on our couch cushions on the living room floor. Fun times.

Bennett's new thing, playing board games. We've taught him how to play Cootie, Connect Four, Go Fish, Chutes and Ladders, Trouble, and Yahtzee Jr., and I must say that my little man has learned REALLY well how to be a good sport! I'm so proud of him. When he loses, he says, aw, well, that's okay. I'm glad we played. And when he wins (after a lot of hooting and fist pumping), he turns to the loser and says, That's okay. You played good! So cute.

**had Nanna over for a visit, which was wonderful, as always!

**visited the pet store for the first time ever (don't ask me how we managed to avoid that for so long - the boys LOVED it. Bennett even got it in his head for a while that he was going to save up his money for a mouse, but decided to use it for candy instead, which made my heart very glad :) )

**went to birthday parties and play dates with friends.

**watched some Saturday morning cartoons

**visited Great Grandpa and Granny (and ate M&Ms, of course)

**went to the eye doctor, where Jasper passed all of the tests for his vision and eye muscles! Praise God!
(he was EXHAUSTED after the appointment and fell asleep on the way home, which NEVER happens)

We had a great summer packed with all kinds of fun. The boys are at such a terrific age for going out and about, exploring and trying new things! :)

3 comments:

Megan said...

so fun. I am with you on the age thing. I am loving having a 4 year old and two year old. They play so well together, and Ana is now old enough to do some things that she has never done. I just ordered some chapter books to start reading aloud to her. That was fun. Also, a board game she has loved and that she always beats me in is Memory. Y'all should try that one if you are looking for a new game.

Rachel said...

I totally agree about the age! I said last summer that I couldn't imagine having a better time running around and exploring the world with my boys. It's different now with Lydia, but I wouldn't have traded the year before she was born for anything!

Kristi Petrak said...

What a fun summer blog!! Glad you and your family had fun. Your boys are so cute :) Just caught up with your post about your new service opportunity. I work with but do not LIVE with teenage girls, and it can be trying but also rewarding. I pray God's peace and strength upon you as you face these new challenges, and I also believe that you and Michael both have a heart for this. God bless you!! :)