Friday, January 30, 2009

BABYWISE

To start off, here's the picture at 32 weeks. Not as much change as there probably would've been had I not lost a few pounds from the flu.




I also want to recommend a book that I know is somewhat controversial, but after reading it again in preparation for this second baby, I really want other people to know about it that are looking for an organized, helpful way to schedule and stay sane with their newborn/infant. There are a LOT of us out there having babies, some first-timers and some their 2nd or 3rd time around, that I know of, and I thought someone might benefit from the recommendation.

When I was pregnant with Bennett, a friend of mine highly recommended a book called "Babywise" by Gary Ezzo. There are reviews out there of this book that side on the negative, but they are biased and pretty harsh (as well as completely inaccurate - taking things WAY out of context) in their assessments and comments of the book. Essentially, "Babywise" gives mommies a basic flexible outline of how to schedule the wake and sleep patterns of an infant so that they and their entire family thrive and develop in healthy ways. This includes a scheduling of eat, wake and sleep patterns that are pretty much common sense, but it's well-written and easy to understand. Basically it follows the belief system of the parent-directed home, rather than the child-directed one. In other words, mommy (or daddy) really does know best! :)

Just thought I'd throw it out there for anyone who hasn't had a baby before and doesn't know what in the world they're doing, or even repeat mommies who felt lost the first time. When Bennett was born, I felt confident and like I knew what I was doing, and the whole family benefitted from following the principles in this book. After reading it again, I'm excited all over again at feeling well-equipped and knowledgeable about what my baby's needs are and how to meet them. If you don't like this book or aren't sure about it, no worries. I wanted to share because it's worked so well for our family and for several of our friends.

Here's to 32 weeks and only having SEVEN weeks left!!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

WOOHOO! Only 7 weeks left!

Randi Freeby said...

I just found your blog. How fun. Can't wait to meet the sweet baby.

Sarah Kirksey said...

Tyson and I are reading this book right now based on the recommendations of a couple of other friends...very interesting so far! It's good to hear that it was a positive thing for you. There seems to be a lot of wisdom in the methods in the book. I'm looking forward to implementing these techniques in the next month or so!