Thursday, January 8, 2009

MICE, MEN AND BABIES

MICE -- Okay, final update on the mouse problem: FIXED. Those mice might have won the battles, but I won the war. Thank goodness, because I was tired of worrying about having my hand nibbled on again. If anybody needs an exterminator for such an atrocity, let me know because the dude that came out to fix us up did a rockin' job.

MEN -- Well, man, actually. Michael has done a FANTASTIC job of helping me get little odds and ends on my to do list finished. And lately, he's really helped out extra around the house with the dishes, straightening up, etc. since I'm becoming less mobile and less energetic, and he knows it drives me crazy to have a messy house. I'm so proud of him and so proud he's mine. We've come such a long way and I'm so thankful to be here.

BABIES -- Baby, actually. I really don't like to admit it because it seems early to me, but this kid is starting to make me uncomfortable. Sometimes I have Braxton Hicks that knock the breath out of me or make me hunch over. Not enjoyable. I've got about two months to go and I'm trying to pace myself (as if I really have much to do with it), but get the feeling I've begun fighting a losing battle. I'm not a pregnancy complainer, but the last couple of months are hard on me. I was hoping this time would be a little better, but in reality, I believe it's a little worse. I know in my head that two months is really no time at all, but when you feel heavy and awkward and your skin is stretched super tight against your belly, that's hard to keep things in perspective. Add on the fact that I'm a pretty impatient person, and you've got yourself an emotional and physical time bomb. I have two comments about this: 1) Lovely. 2) Poor Michael.

However, on the bright side, I knew this would begin happening around 7 months based on my experience last time and that I would feel like doing jack squat the last couple of months, so my To Do List is in ROCKIN' AWESOME shape (since I've already done most everything). For Bowen's room, all I have left is painting his name letters and hanging a couple of things I already have up on the walls. The plan is to have this done by this weekend, and I'll post pictures after. Here's a final peek at the To Do List for my in utero buddy:

1. Michael fixed the shelf in Bowen's closet and his clothes are sorted by age and type, both hung on little hangers and folded on the shelves. I amaze myself.

2. The paint party with my mom was beyond fabulous. We got EVERYthing knocked out, including picture frames, a couple pieces of furniture, a foot stool, and a framed mirror. THANKS, mom!!

3. Contact papering....this chore shames and defeats me. I have surrendered at present to the fate of ugly white and blue ducks.

4. Bennett's first year scrapbook is completely finished - I finished it the day before Christmas. I continue to amaze myself.

5. My mom has altered several clothing items for Bowen to use and there are just 2-3 things left to be done. We had a sewing day yesterday, where we sewed a couple of throw pillows for the bed in Bowen's room, and I attached some plastic washers to the back of both of my boys' quilts to hang on a wall in their rooms. I consider all sewing to be pretty much done. Could I be more amazed with myself?

6. I've washed all blankets, burp clothes and bibs. Still need to wash clothing, baby toys that Michael brought down from the attic, and to boil bottle and pump parts (next month, probably).


It's amazing to me how much has to get done to prepare for a new baby. We've saved a TON of money on this baby's room by doing it all ourselves, but I've been surprised and caught slightly off guard at how much extra work it's taken. It's been really exciting because I've created or designed a lot of the things in Bowen's nursery, but man am I TIRED!! It feels SO good to be almost completely finished with everything. Hopefully the last month I'll be able to kick back and relax, or at least try to find a comfortable sitting position :)

2 comments:

Emily said...

I am so jealous of you/excited for you! Maybe I should post a to do list to keep me accountable and get my hiney in gear. I can't wait to see the pics!

Kristi Petrak said...

Congratulations!! I know it feels so good to get so much stuff done. That's how I felt yesterday--I cleaned almost every aspect of the house. Good job. ^_^ Love you!