Monday, June 20, 2011

SUMMER SPECTACULAR - PART 1

There are too many pictures and too much info to cram into one post, so this will probably be a three-post kinda deal.

First I'll start out by saying that doing this show was a lot like Spring Sing back in my Harding days (NINE years ago - EEK!), and because of that, it was SO much fun, and something that I really wanted to do. I also have to say that I realized what a different place in life I'm at now. Having a family of my own - kids especially - makes a HUGE difference. For the majority of the the time (2 1/2 months) while getting ready for the show, I felt myself being tugged and pulled in several different directions, which was definitely a challenge!

It was tremendously helpful that Michael was so supportive and that he really wanted me to get the chance to do this. It was also AWESOME that they had childcare open during all practice times when we were up at the church practicing, and Bennett LOVED going, so I took him with me once every week or two to give Michael a break.

Practices were three times a week, two hours each time. About half way through, Noah's family started meeting an extra hour a week to go over songs, dances and lines, and the last two weeks, we were there every night from about 6:30pm-10:30pm. Dude. The whole experience introduced me to so many wonderful new people whom I'd never met, and shed new light on the term "work ethic"...holy moly. I practiced for 45 min to an hour 5-6 days a week at home while the boys napped, in order to learn the 27 songs and 20-ish dances, as well as the script for the show. Needless to say, I hardly know what to do with myself now! (On my first day off, I cleaned the bathrooms within an inch of their lives because I couldn't handle having nothing to do :) )

The show was a lot of hard work and added a lot of time constraints Michael and I hadn't anticipated, but I am SO glad and thankful I did it. Thousands of children came EACH night (for six nights in a row - we performed the entire show twice), and then waited in line for our autographs for over an hour each night, where we got to meet them and talk to them about God's love and promises. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. It doesn't get much better than that. There are stories every year of entire families and extended families who come to know God after attending Summer Spectacular, and I'm amazed at how well my own kids know the bible story the show is focused on after watching it.

Bennett and Jasper loved it, and liked seeing their mama on stage, I think. My mom said every time I came out, Jasper would say, "Mama! Mama!" over and over again, and Bennett would ask all kinds of questions about what songs I would sing next, or things I would do or say. I'm so glad they got to experience the story of Noah in such a big way.

The pictures for today are of my boys enjoying the decorations and excitement. The next two posts will mainly be pictures of the show itself and some of the amazing, oh-so-talented people I've gotten to know.

If you are interested, in about a month there will be a DVD of the whole show available for free, to keep and watch at home!

There were live parakeets in this cage all week. It was Bennett and Jasper's favorite place to visit. There was also a petting zoo after the nights when the animals were in the show. Such a neat idea!

My little monkeys :)


Stalls and stalls of paired off animals were placed all over the building.


They came to say hi and grab a quick picture before the last night of the show.

2 comments:

Taylor Belt said...

I adore the way Jasper is looking at you in that last picture! You can tell he's totally enthralled and proud of his mommy! Such a sweetie!

Vicky said...

I've been enjoying many of the photos on FB that your friend "tagged you".

Summer Spectacular" sounds like a wonderful experience for you and the kids.

I would definitely like to have a copy of the DVD.

In that last photo, Jasper looks so much like Michael did as a toddler.

I am so looking forward to seeing all of you in July. :)