Saturday, August 11, 2012

GALVESTON

     This was the first vacation for the boys ever, not including trips to Arkansas to see Papa and Nanna, or Christmas time get-togethers.
     I have lived in Texas for so many years put together, and have been on numerous beach vacations, both in Texas and Florida, but I have never been to Galveston.  We wanted to take a quick 2-3 day trip to the beach, and thought it would be a good place to go.  We are also saving up to take the whole big fat family on a beach vacation next summer, and we wanted to see if Galveston would be a nice place to take everyone.
     I will say here that we had an adventure :).  Galveston was not quite what we expected, but the boys didn't know the difference, and we are now looking at Port Aransas or South Padre for next summer, so I'm very glad we went and tried it out.  The water and sand were pretty dirty, and there weren't really any big, nice places to stay, or much of anything extra to do for a longer vacation, so it's not a good fit for next time.  But the four of us being together and doing something for the first time was so much fun!
     I was so surprised and happy to see how much Bennett and Jasper LOVED the ocean.  I have always loved it.  There is something about the beauty and power of it that reminds me so clearly and simply of the majesty and perfection of God, as well as His love.  When I look out over the ocean, I think about how He has made such beautiful things for us to look at and enjoy.  I think of how much pleasure He gets from making us feel this way, from using His creation to draw us closer to Him.  Call me the crazy, emotional woman, but I cry almost every time I sink my feet in the sand and look out over the waves, watching them ebb and flow all the way to the horizon.
     Bennett loved exploring and looking for "treasures" like shells and little crabs.  He loved chasing the seagulls, building sandcastles with his dad and then destroying them.  Jasper LOVED swimming in the ocean itself with his ring.  He could have stayed in the waves, bobbing up and down for hours.  He also  enjoyed walking up and down the beach, feeling the sand between his toes.  Getting dirty and sandy doesn't phase him like it does his mama and his brother :).
     Here are a few pictures of our quick little trip:














P.S. Scroll down for two more posts I added today!

0 comments: