Monday, August 13, 2012

THE BOYS

     Bennett and Jasper have spent a LOT of time with their daddy this summer, and it has been the biggest, richest blessing for all of us.  Michael has taken a lot of time to train them discipline and respect-wise, and he has spent a TON of time getting in the floor with them, building train tracks, wrestling, building forts and tents, having dance marathons (my favorite to watch! hee :) ), etc.  Have they gotten dressed most days, or made their beds the way Mommy likes?  Um...no.  But goodness, the trade-off was worth it!
     Bennett has grown 1 1/2 inches this summer, and has a tan to make tanning beds jealous from all of the swimming, as usual.  He has really matured into a helpful, sweet big brother, and loves to help around the house.  His creative streak has grown as well - he makes up most of the games he and Jasper play, and when the game doesn't suit him, he just changes the rules :).
     Jasper has really grown into his own personality.  He is our little clown and our little charmer.  Not a day goes by without him saying something like, "I love you so much, Mommy!"  or "You are so very beautiful, Mama." Seriously.  He lays it on thick.  But the fantastic thing is, he is being completely serious and sweet.  Love it.
     I am trying to prepare myself for how different it will be once school starts.  My buddy, my pal of five years, my Benito, won't be around during the day.  I know things will be quiet.  I know things will be a lot more dull.  I know Jasper and I will have to figure out a way to fill the spaces of time and sound without him around.  It makes my heart ache to think about.
     But on the flip side, he will have the exact teacher I have been praying and hoping for at his new school, and there are only 11 kiddos in his class!  Sweet!!  I know Bennett will love school and he will thrive in a learning, exploring environment with a good teacher.  I also know that Jasper will have the chance to be who he is as a little person, rather than brother's shadow, and that is a really good thing as well.  I will be able to give Jasper attention in a way I never have in his whole little life, and that's pretty awesome, too.
     We have had a wonderful summer together, and now we're ready for the next step.  Here's to the next chapter, starting on Thursday!  Exciting times!



0 comments: