Thursday, August 30, 2012

THE BIG 3-0

     You got it.  Yours truly turned 30 yesterday.  For some reason this is supposed to be the biggest milestone of all time (apart from turning 50, and then 100, of course).  I'm not feeling it, people.  As far as I'm concerned, I'm just that much closer to being taken seriously :).  Truthfully, I didn't know how I would feel about turning 30, but I still feel pretty much like me.  Whew!  That's a relief! :)

I had a wonderful birthday that I actually began celebrating several weeks ago when me and two of my closest friends, Laura Beth and Molly, had a "staycation" at Molly's apartment for three days.  Laura Beth's birthday is in July, mine is in August, and Molly's is in September, so it works perfectly to celebrate together.  We ate whatever and wherever we wanted, we got deluxe pedicures and full body massages (something I had NEVER done - it was so glorious it made me want to cry!), we became true artists (HA!) at Painting with a Twist, we went shopping in a quaint little downtown area that I adored, we watched most of the Molly Ringwald movies known to man, and we caught up on each others' lives (always my favorite part).  It was a restful, wonderful three days, and my husband sent me off to blow through some cash, relax, and thoroughly enjoy myself.  He's kind of Awesome - with a Capital A.

Yesterday, Michael did it again.  He orchestrated all eight of our kiddos with gifts for me, and at my choice, we went to Pei Wei for dinner (my parents and brother met us there), and then to my dad and mom's house for cake, ice cream and presents.  My girls got me "mother/daughter" necklaces and charms, pretty jewelry, beautiful cards that made me cry, scarves, and lots of hugs.  So sweet.  Bennett and Jasper both picked out favorites of mine when Michael asked them to choose something they knew I would like.  Bennett picked Reese's Peanut Butter cups (my favorite candy), and Jasper picked Happy Tracks Blue Bell ice cream.  Let me tell you, if you've never had it, you're missing out!

When we got to my parents' house, there were balloons EVERYwhere, and I noticed there were what looked like pieces of paper inside of all of them.  As it turns out, my mom painstakingly picked out a picture of me from every year of my life and stuffed them in balloons.  She had me pop each balloon, and then the kids had to put them all in order.  It was the coolest thing to watch, and made me feel so special.  I know it took her forever to decorate and orchestrate all of that.







      This year has been the most difficult and the most beautiful of my life.  I love where I am.  I love who I am and who God has called me to be.  I am so thankful for His many blessings.  I am beyond grateful to have a gigantic family to care for and serve who loves and appreciates me.  Life is rich and blessed for this 30-year-old!

1 comments:

Summer said...

Happy Happy Birthday a day late!!!! I remember it being on the 29th now, sorry I didn't call or text. It sounds like it was wonderful! Love you friend and would love to get together soon!